8.31.2008

Flaky, Garlic Toasted Spaghetti Cups

Mmmm, Mmmm, Good. That's how I would describe the recipe that I saw on Jenny's Blog, Picky Palate. I just knew I had to try it. Her recipes don't disappoint. It is definitely a new twist on an old standby. The hardest part was unrolling the dough. Actually I take that back...finding a glass that was big enough to make the dough circles for the cups. I ended up using an oversize coffee mug and it worked perfectly. It was a 30 minute meal from start to finish which I totally love. Don't be surprised if you see me making this recipe again...heck, I may try and impress my MIL with it.

Flaky Garlic Toasted Spaghetti Cups
3 Pillsbury refrigerated pie dough, thawed
¼ Cup olive oil, for brushing
½ teaspoon garlic salt
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup diced white onion
½ Cup diced red bell pepper
1 lb lean ground beef
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
26 oz favorite pasta sauce, homemade or store bought
1 lb whole spaghetti
½ Cup Fresh grated parmesan cheese
12 Fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out pie dough rounds to an even thinness. Using a 3 inch wide bowl or cup, press 12 round circles of dough. You may need to roll out remaining dough to make more circles. Lightly brush each side of the dough rounds with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. Press gently into the bottom and sides of 12 muffin tins, that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack.
Place oil into a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, sauté onion and bell pepper until slightly softened, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in beef, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Cook until browned and crumbled. Stir in pasta sauce and reduce heat to low to simmer.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
To assemble, using tongs, place a small amount of noodles into the bottom of the crusts. Top with a heaping spoonful of pasta sauce. Top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and basil leaves if desired.
Makes 12 spaghetti cups, you’ll have more spaghetti left over.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Yay! So glad you enjoyed these little cups! They were a hit at my house too. I'll be making them again soon.

Carrie said...

These are SO cute. I will be trying them.

”